This Chocolate Chip Birthday Cookie with Buttercream Icing makes even my dessert crazy kids happy. It is made with white wheat flour and a small amount of refined sugar.
Some occasions call for treats – birthdays are one of them. Though we limit the intake of refined ingredients like white flour and sugar, there are times that we throw all the rules out the door and just enjoy the occasion. I would argue that because we don’t indulge every meal of every day, it makes the special treats even more special. (My 4 year old would completely disagree. She would argue that cookies are always special, no matter what.)
This Chocolate Chip Birthday Cookie with Buttercream Icing makes even my dessert crazy kids happy. It is made with white wheat flour and a small amount of refined sugar. So though it is not something I would bake every day, I am much happier making this as a special treat than buying a birthday cookie from the mall.
This gigantic Chocolate Chip Birthday Cookie is topped with my favorite Buttercream Frosting. It tastes so decadent and is sweetened with a little maple rather than conventional sugar. You’ve seen this frosting before on my favorite whole food Chocolate Muffins (which totally makes them cupcakes!) You’ve also seen it on these Vanilla Whole Wheat Scones.
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
Birthday Main Courses:
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 1 cup butter, softened 2 sticks
- ¾ cup white sugar we prefer organic
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2¼ cup white wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips we prefer organic
- Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 14 inch cake pan or a pizza pan with oil or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk butter, white sugar, coconut sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- In a second bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda until well combined. Pour the flour mixture into the wet batter gradually, mixing until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread dough into your prepared pan and cook for 20-22 minutes.
- If you are planning to frost your cookie, make sure you allow the cookie to cool completely before frosting. The frosting will come together in about 5 minutes while the cookie is baking.